Situated at the bottom of the Vergeletto Valley, the secluded and isolated Arena Reserve comprises a mountain forest that vaunts majestic firs and great larches, Alpine roses and red-berried elders. This wild nature, which has developed here over the millennia, can only be seen in the summer and early autumn. When making your way slowly along the clear-cut paths, you might catch a fleeting glimpse of a chamois. The view from the easily accessible Alpe Arena is truly spectacular.
- Area: 177 hectares
- Altitude: 1,100-1,700 m a.s.l.
- Main species: white fir, spruce, beech and larch
- Year of institution: 1992
- Owners: Patriziato Generale d’Onsernone, Stato del Cantone Ticino
- From May-October, to the best of Sunday and August, when the Valle di Vergeletto quarries are closed.
- With heavy rains access to the Reserve is not recommended, with snow precluded. Attention: it is mandatory to follow the marked trails. Mountain equipment is necessary.
- The Forest Reserve of the Arena can be visited along the path that from Piano delle Cascine (1'126 m a.s.l.), 5 km from Vergeletto, leads to the Alpe Arena (1'689 m a.s.l.). From here you can go back on the same path, or add a ring, passing by Cruseta.
- Guided tours are available on request.
PARKS AND GARDENS
- Natural parks