The Sacred Mount Madonna del Sasso in Orselina is one of the most important religious and historical sites in the canton of Ticino. Tradition says that Fra ' Bartolomeo , a Franciscan friar of the convent of Locarno, wanted to build a place of worship on the "Rock " of Locarno as a result of an apparition of the Virgin Mary. Today it consists of the Church of the Annunciation at the foot of the Mount, the Via Crucis and the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Sasso , the Sacred Mountain is a wealth of art, history and spirituality.
Leaning on a spectacular outcrop of rock, the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Sasso pilgrimage church above Locarno is preceded by a large square from which you can see the deep valley and the wild. Next to the church, a porch allows you to enjoy a fantastic view over Locarno, the lake and the surrounding mountains.
From the center of Locarno you reach the beginning of the old access road. From here the crossway starts, a path surrounded by a charming natural scenery, rich in artistic and picturesque chapels that climbs up to the top of the rock outcrop where you can find the beautiful Sanctuary; recently restored. The Holy Mountain is also reachable by funicular Locarno- Madonna del Sasso. Being in close proximity to the base station of the cable car, Orselina- Cardada- Cimetta, the Sacred Mountain can also represent the starting point for a hike in the mountains.
The Sanctuary is opened to the public:
Opening time: 07.00 - 18.30
Timetable Funicular: see the times for the Funicular
- The Sanctuary is equipped with a stairlift enabling individuals with physical limitations to access the Madonna del Sasso church.
- The stairlift is located in the immediate vicinity of the restaurant at the funicular railway stop in Orselina and can transport one person at a time, also wheelchair users with a Eurokey.
- The low speed of the stairlift limits the possibilities for the transportation of a group.
- A second stairlift is located within the convent. In this case the presence of the convent’s custodian is requested, especially for persons using this stairlift for the first time.
- It is highly recommended to contact the convent in advance and make all necessary arragements with regard to the day and time of arrival so the person can be accompanied along the way.
- The access from the intermediate funicular railway stop (stop Santuario Madonna del Sasso) is not recommended for persons with reduced mobility.
- The access to the Sanctuary is not suitable for prams and pushchairs.
- Contact: Padre Paolo Corradi (tel. 091 743 62 65; e-mail: [email protected]).
Santuario Madonna del Sasso
Via Santuario 2
CH 6644 Orselina
T +41 91 743 62 65
Società Funicolare Locarno-Madonna del Sasso
Viale Balli 2
CH 6600 Locarno
T +41 91 751 11 23
F +41 91 752 14 63
- Art museums