The Agarone wine press
Search on ascona-locarno.com
The old wine press built in the 17th century (it bears the date 1610) can be found in Agarone, in the Gerra Piano region, in a dry-stone building with a stone roof. Its parts are all still clearly visible although it no longer works. It was used by a number of families in a consortium to press grape skins. People who were not part of the consortium had to pay a tax to use it that consisted of a 5-litre wine jug for every ‘brenta’ of grape skins.